This webinar unpacks how to navigate South Africa’s court system as a journalist.
• Mthunzi Mhaga, Spokesperson to the NPA
• Yvonne van Niekerk, Director of court administration at the Office of the Chief Justice
• Karyn Maughan, legal journalist at Media24
• Chrispin Phiri, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice
• Slides: Navigating the courts (download)
This webinar unpacks the role of the judiciary in administering South Africa’s courts and upholding the rule of law.
• Franny Rabkin, legal journalist
• Lawson Naidoo, CASAC
• Zikhona Ndlebe, Judges Matter
• Chelsea Ramsden, Helen Suzman Foundation
This webinar unpacks the considerations for journalists reporting on legal matters relating to the children and other vulnerable groups.
• Lisa Vetten, University of Johannesburg
• Shaheda Omar, Teddy Bear Clinic
• Zikhona Tshona, Newzroom Afrika
• Kudakwashe Vanyoro, African Centre for Migration & Society
This webinar unpacks the ins and outs of commissions of inquiry, including the role of commissions in South Africa’s legal system and how they differ from courts of law.
• Bongiwe Gambu, Spokesperson for the Jiba Commission
• Erin Bates, Business Day
• Adv Paul Pretorius, State Capture Commission
• Nomzamo Zondo, Socio-Economic Rights Institute of South Africa
In this quick explainer video, Yvonne van Niekerk, Director of court administration at the Office of the Chief Justice, unpacks the hierarchy of the South African court system.
In this quick explainer video, Yvonne van Niekerk, Director of court administration at the Office of the Chief Justice, unpacks the key considerations for a bail application in the South African court system.